Thursday 10 May 2012

Fantasy Avengers Team!

Okay, following on from the last thread, but inspired by this blogpost here, I'm looking at who I think the best characters in a Fantasy Avengers Team would be. So, check below. I should point out that I don't own the images.

Vin (Mistborn)


Vin basically plays the role of Black Widow in my Fantasy Avengers team. Although I've only read The Final Empire, I've become a fan of her as a character (indeed, she's one of my favourite female characters in this genre), and she's pretty deadly and from the blurb that I've read of The Well of Ascension, it looks as though she's going to get even deadlier. 

King Arthur (Merlin)


Well, erm - I know he may already have been taken by Tor's Avengers list, but come on, he is a no-brainier really, even though I'm not a huge fan of the TV show Merlin from where this version of the iconic character originates from. He'd probably fill the role of Captain America in this team, mainly due to his leadership skills. 

Harry Dresden (The Dresden Files) 


One of the few non-epic fantasy characters on my list. Dresden would probably fulfil the role of Iron Man. He's humorous, and would provide some comic relief to the team. Plus, he's one of my favourite male fantasy characters, so he's in there straight away. Backup choices would be Hermione Granger (for the genius/magic side of things), or Gandalf for the same reason as Hermione. Dresden would also get into arguments with Arthur a lot, which would be quite amusing, particularly with Arthur's stance on anti-sorcery. (I haven't seen past 2 of Merlin, so I don't know if this changes or not). 

Robin Hood (Robin Hood BBC)



I initially had Legolas fulfil this role. However, there was one character, even more obvious than Legolas that I left out, and that character is none other than Robin Hood, the legendary archer of Sherwood Forest himself. The exchanges between Robin and Arthur would be interesting to watch, but all in all, Robin Hood as a character looks pretty interesting. I've used the version from the awesome BBC series that has unfortunately, finished, instead of the classics or the Russell Crowe version. Robin Hood is such an awesome character that I couldn't leave him out really, and the only reason why he was left out what because I forgot him briefly.

Arya Stark (A Song of Ice and Fire)


Come on, it's fantasy. How can you not have a GRRM character in the team? I know there are clearly many choices from A Song of Ice and Fire that would fit in this slot - Tyrion would be a contender, but I chose Arya for no other reason than she's my favourite female character in epic fantasy ever, outpacing even Vin. I don't really know what role she'd play in the Avengers team, but she has the advantage of displaying not only Great resourcefulness and cunning, but also an unflinching ability to accept hard necessity (yes, I did steal that from A Wiki of Ice and Fire). She's also a good horse rider, and she'd be underestimated by many of the villains that they'd face, and even her fellow team-mates with her young age, which would be an advantage

Ezio Auditore Da Firenze (Assassin's Creed)




Okay. Ezio could probably take out, in the right circumstances, everyone else in the team before they even knew he was there, particularly if it was in the middle of his home territory of either Firenze or Rome, and especially if the others were separated. He's a master assassin, would provide a wealth of tactical experience, and is another one of my favourite characters. Although he doesn't technically count as a fantasy/epic fantasy character I've decided to include him anyway, as I allowed Dresden in there. Another choice would probably be Kylar Stern (Night Angel Trilogy).

Okay, now that's out of the way, who would be a member of your fantasy Avengers team? Go and pick.

People that didn't quite make the cut:

Kylar Stern (Night Angel Trilogy)




Tyrion (A Song of Ice and Fire) 




Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)




Legolas (Lord of the Rings)




Sigmar Heldenhammer (Warhammer Fantasy)


Gandalf the White (Lord of the Rings)




So, that's all from me. On a side note, which team do you think would emerge on top?

Team 1: Vin, King Arthur, Harry Dresden, Robin Hood, Arya Stark, Ezio Auditore Da Firenze

OR 

Team 2: Kylar Stern, Tyrion, Hermione Granger, Legolas, Sigmar Heldenhammer and Gandalf the White. 

3 comments:

  1. I did one of these too. It's interesting to see what everyone else would pick. I limited mine to actual epic fantasy literature, so about half the characters you picked were eliminated for me. We both chose Vin, though! I hope you don't mind me posting a link.

    http://www.benjaminrose.com/post/the-fantasy-avengers-lineup/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. I have no idea how or if the temperament of these characters will allow them to work together... but in theory, this team is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigmar's an actual flesh-and-blood god, and he took out a Bloodthirster as a mortal, so whichever team has him I guess.

    ReplyDelete